Welcome back to a new school year!
A huge and warm massive welcome back to school! It was so lovely to see you and the children this morning. I truly hope that you have all had a wonderful summer break and that everyone had some chilled and down time from the daily routines. But I am so glad to be back!
Thank you for all my amazing gifts that I received at the end of last year- too many, too generous and too kind.
I would also like to express a heartfelt welcome to our soon to be new families and children. The ‘home visits’ take place this week and the children in Reception will begin their time with us next week! I hope the children have the best few first days and grow to love our school as they head through their time with us!
A massive (formal) welcome back to Mrs Dengate and Miss Slade! We are lucky to have you back – as are the children who are soon to be in Year R. A welcome back to Miss Styles too! We missed you all.
Mrs Rose had a baby girl in August – named Evie! Such a pretty name. We wish her much love during this rather special time.
SCHOOL TARGETS and AIMS THIS YEAR!
Last year, our children at the end of KS1 (Year 2) and KS2 (Year 6) received phenomenal results! All the children in Class 2 achieved expected levels in their reading. 100%!! We have never had this! As well as that amazing success -100% of our Year 6 children achieved expected levels in their writing! Again this has never been achieved in all my time at Cobham.
However we still have many areas that we wish to improve in and these will need your continued support! (As always!)
- Reading, Reading, Reading! We need the children and yourselves to pick up the mantle again as we start a new year and hit that reading hard. It makes such a difference to the success and confidence of the children in every area! Get cracking!
- We have a new Handwriting Scheme named ‘LetterJoin’ and each class newsletter will explain how to access this online resource and get the children to start practicing as much as they can. It will be used in classroom life as well! I need to do this too!
- We have signed up to the ‘Times table Rock Star!’ The children will love this and there will be a launch day led by Mrs Joshua on September 19th, then the children will receive their logins!
- Spelling continues to be extremely important and the children learning their spellings as well as exploring their meanings in class and at home has been a great success! We wish to keep this as a high priority!
- Well-being – the well-being of our children and you as families (and the team) is of the utmost importance. We have a Well-Being Charter, a new Mental Health Policy and lots of information to share with you in Term 1, in the hope that we can support you even more in this area.
Dates for the diary!
PTA – 7th September 2pm @ Darnley Arms
PJ Day – 9th September! Yippee! £1 donation please!
Giant Picnic for Reception and Phonic Workshop for Reception parents – 14th September at 12 midday
Coffee Morning – Friday 23rd September (School Hall) 9-10am (£3 for a cuppa and a croissant/pain au chocolat!) Please come and join us!! We would love to see our new families especially.
Friday 23rd September – Jeans for Genes Day/Wear it Pink Non Uniform Day for the children – no donation needed!
Moonlit Walk – Friday 23rd September (School field) 9-10pm! £20 per family – details to follow!
Maths Information Session – 27th September 2.30pm in hall – Everyone welcome!
Stay and Share session (Everyone!) – Tuesday 11th October 2.30pm
Harvest Festival – Foodbank Donation – Friday 14th October
SPORTS DAY! KO: 10am on 21st June 2023! Followed by Giant Picnic!
Children’s Clubs & Bits and Bobs
Premier Sport Clubs start week beginning Wednesday 7th September & Thursday 8th September
Centre Stage starts Monday 12th September
Hannah May’s After School Club starts Tuesday 13th September
(All fliers with details were sent last week!)
Rock Steady begins on Tuesday 13th September for those that have signed up
Last Bounce Day – 16th September for everyone- No school uniform on this day! Children can arrive at school in their PE kit or sports wear!
Mini Marathon Week 26th – 30th September – More details to follow!
It will be a busy term for all sorts of reasons and we hope the children will come home today really happy. After all – that is what matters first – to you and us!